Monday, March 2, 2009

What are You Reading Right Now?

What's everyone reading out there? Who? Why? How did you come across it?

I'm currently reading Cormac McCarthy. My friend Rebecca raved about McCarthy's novel, THE ROAD. After I read her review of the book, I ordered a copy. Then I did some research about McCarthy. At the time I was finishing up reading a whole bunch of Southern Gothic works, Truman Capote, Faulkner and Harper Lee. I read a couple reviews about McCarthy's SUTTREE and BLOOD MERIDIAN. SUTTREE was described as pure Southern Gothic, but I started with BLOOD MERIDIAN. It is one of the most sublime books I've ever read in my life. The prose is poetic, austere and very violent. It's about the Glanton Gang, a historical group of scalp hunters, who massacred and scalped Native Americans and others along the Mexican-U.S. border in the late 1850's. It's a horrifying read. It's hard to believe they're actually going to make a film of this book!

I'm just now finishing SUTTREE, which I swapped BLOOD MERIDIAN with Rebecca for. It's classic Southern Gothic, a great story, amazing poetic prose, and colorful Faulknarian characters.

After I finish SUTTREE I'm going to read McCarthy's Border trilogy, which includes ALL THE PRETTY HORSES. Finally, I'm going to finish McCarthy with THE ROAD.

No comments:

Post a Comment